Monday, October 06, 2014

31 Days of Horror - 2014: Day 6 Survival of the Dead

After watching Doc of the Dead I thought I'd check out one of the George A Romero zombie films that I haven't seen...only...I have seen this one, it's just not very memorable so I didn't remember that I'd seen it before.  I think I watched it 2 years ago when I watched 31 horror films in October.

As explained in Doc of the Dead, the modern vision of the zombie was created in Night of the Living Dead by George A Romero, and he went on to create some of the best films using zombies.  I'd almost argue that the original three continue to get better as each film came out.  I even remember thinking that Land of the Dead was a really good film.  I don't think I've watched Diary of the Dead yet (maybe I will tomorrow, but maybe I just didn't remember watching that one either).  I feel like Survival of the Dead has a strong ending, but, how we get there is a complete mess.  There are too many characters, many who seem unnecessary.  Too many unneeded plot points. Just a bit too much.  Romero's film's strengths have always been their use of the zombie as a stand-in for our society as a whole, and I feel like that is a bit lost in this film.

Most of the movie just doesn't work for me, but when I got to the end I felt happy that I stuck it out.

1 comment:

ncapp said...

I liked that it's basically a Western.