Monday, January 09, 2012

Cheese: The real stuff, not that 'Cheese Product' junk...

I've heard tales of the awesomeness that is Antonelli's Cheese Shop from several people, and even despite the fact that I spent a majority of the last five years within walking distance, I have never been inside the shop. That was rectified yesterday, as I took a trip into the store to check it out. I wanted some cheese for use with my Farmhouse Delivery vegetables being delivered on Tuesday and luckily I was with someone who was able to give me a couple of ideas, but even if I had ventured in by myself the super knowledgable staff would have been able to point me in the right direction (and they provide samples to help you choose what you want). With the cauliflower I intend to make a variation of this pasta dish, so I picked up some Parmigiano-Reggiano. I got some Menage to use with the broccoli. I also grabbed some Caveman Blue Cheese because I might get beets (beets and blue cheese is awesom), and if not, I'll find someway to get rid of it.

Now, I've said for a long time that America's obsession with convenience is one of our downfalls. People want to make one trip to the market and get everything, which limits the shelf space available for products and impacts smaller producers negatively. Luckily we have alternative options when purchasing and are able to make choices that have a greater impact then we might think they have. This also usually leads to stores that are manned by people with little to no knowledge (or love) of the product that they are selling. The staff at Antonelli's truly seem excited to share their love of the product with the customer, and are able to educate you on your selections, which is a much better experience.

We all deserve to eat good cheese, and not be stuck eating "cheese product".

No comments: