Monday, January 30, 2012

The Artist: He didn't even draw stuff...

Finally got around to seeing the film The Artist the other night. I'm sure by this point everyone has heard of the film and has some knowledge of what it is, how it works (if not, don't be like the idiots who walked out because it was Black & White and Silent). One of the big points I took away from this film was a reminder about how powerful film can be when it is used as the visual medium that it is, and not just people talking. I felt that the movie would have been just about as effective with out any of the title cards (although a handful were pretty needed).

Now I've always had a pretty big distaste for films that have the characters tell you what they are doing as they are doing it (which is a trend that REALLY needs to go away), but I also am a big fan of the films of Kevin Smith, so I have a pretty good appreciation for dialogue. I just think that too many filmmakers are letting the dialogue tell their story rather then using the camera as the story telling device, and their films suffer for it.

I have a hard time imagining anyone who gives The Artist a chance would have a problem with the film, and I really think that it's one of those movies that just about everyone should see. And not just because it has a really cute dog in it (and it does).





No comments: